Photo credit: Forlani, Paolo, Ferando Bertelli, Giacomo Gastaldi, and Lessing J Rosenwald. Vniversale Descrittione DI Tvtta La Terra Conoscivta Fin Qvi. [Venezia: F. Berteli, 1565] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/85690919/. (Accessed December 18, 2016.)
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FROM AFICIONADOS, EMERGING, MID-CAREER or ESTABLISHED PHOTOGRAPHERS
The Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (VAHMS) is a non-profit organization committed to building a community where Asian arts, cultures and contributions are lived, shared and celebrated as part of the harmonious diversity of Canada.
For our April/May explorASIAN 2017 exhibition, “Following the Spice Routes and Beyond” in Vancouver, Canada, we encourage the submission of photographs from aficionados, emerging, mid-career and established artists who have an interest in showing their works in context of the exhibition’s theme. The exhibition will be a multicultural, eclectic and visual representation of the maritime silk and spice routes in time and space. Each highlighted region will be represented in photographs by different photographers with his/her unique vision of the country. Our main purpose is to engage the public with learning about the commercial routes that have given shape to the world we live in now. Although we appreciate the effort of all who wish to participate, we will only contact artists whose submissions meet the requirements of the project.
Please note: The deadline for submissions is January 20th, 2017.
*Note: please refer to the list of countries and cities related to the Silk and Spice Maritime trade at the end of this document.
- Photographs taken from countries and cities along the Silk and Spice Maritime Routes
- Photographs showing different goods traded in any city along the Maritime Routes
- Photographs showing Cultural Heritage from any listed country
- Photographs showing the cultures and traditions of Diaspora communities from listed countries residing in Vancouver, BC (cultural centres, restaurants, businesses, individuals or communities established in Vancouver)
Please submit the following items as a zipped folder to the Art Department, Attn. Leticia Sanchez (Chair Curator) by email at email@example.com:
- 2 to 4 high-resolution, digital images representing the requirements of the project.
- An image list indicating artist name, title of photograph, and year taken.
- A maximum 40 words description for each submitted photograph .
- The exhibition will support VAHMS – a not for profit organization and requires voluntary participation to this project.
- Be sure to send all files together including images and supporting descriptions
- VAHMS welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with other communities and organizations
- Please allow 2 to 4 weeks to receive a response on the number of photographs accepted
List of Countries along the Spice Maritime Routes
(Countries with asterisks were part of the 2016 exhibit, but will require new photographs to refresh the panels)
- China* (South China, Guangdong region)
- India* (Mumbai, kochi)
- Indonesia* (Borneo and other ports)
- Indonesia* (Java, Sumatra)
- Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon)
- Ethiopia (Cape of Spices)
- Saudi Arabia
- Italy (Venice)*
Note: We apologize for not including all countries related to the spice Routes in general, as in 2017 we will take the routes through The Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea.
In 2018 we will portray routes that were traveled through the Indian and The Atlantic Ocean and those who reached America.