Founded in 1996, Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (VAHMS) is a non-profit society that is dedicated to recognizing Asian Canadian participation as an integral part of Canadian society. VAHMS organizes explorASIAN, an annual festival celebrating national Asian Heritage Month to promote understanding and appreciation of Asian-Canadian arts and culture in the month of May. The festival includes programs, activities and events produced in collaboration with various partners from the diverse communities in Metro Vancouver.
Asian Canadian cultures in Canada include:
- East Asia: China, Japan, Mongolia, Korea, Taiwan
- South Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- Central Asia: Iran, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Iraq
- Southeast Asia: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
To recognize Asian Canadian participation as an integral part of Canadian society and celebrate the hybridization of all arts and culture in Canada.
- Invite the wider community to experience Asian Canadian arts and culture
- Encourage and create opportunities for the public to learn about Asian Canadian communities in Canada
- Provide a platform to address critical issues such as identity and social integration for Asian Canadians
- Facilitate collaboration across and beyond Asian Canadian communities
- Promote access to public arts and cultural institutions for all Canadian communities
To produce a dynamic and exciting festival that will inspire people to appreciate, recognize and celebrate Asian-Canadian arts and culture in our multicultural society.
Celebrate Asian Heritage Month to promote understanding and appreciation for Asian-Canadian cultures.
This year’s theme, Embracing Pan-Asian Communities, gives us an
opportunity to bring many different communities together through our
partner cultural organizations and events.
VAHMS is dedicated to provide the best experience of Asian Canadian arts and culture to our multicultural society
VAHMS invites the wider communities to participate and collaborate beyond the Asian Canadian communities
VAHMS encourages and creates opportunities for the public to learn about Asian Canadian cultures
VAHMS provides platforms to address critical issues such as identity and social integration
Making it happen
VAHMS promotes access to public arts and cultural institutions for all Canadian communities
VAHMS was founded in 1996 by Mishtu Banerjee, Mo-Ling Chui, Grace Eiko Thomson, Jim Wong-Chu and Winston Xin, following the beginning of Asian Heritage celebrations in the USA and Toronto, Canada.
In 2001, Senator Vivienne Poy proposed a motion in the Senate to officially recognize Asian Heritage Month in the month of May. Other Canadian cities celebrating Asian Heritage Month include Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax and Fredericton.
Other Asian Heritage Month Celebration Nationwide
Canadians are invited to learn more about and celebrate the many achievements and contributions of Canadians of Asian origin who, throughout history, have done so much to make Canada the culturally diverse, compassionate and prosperous nation it is today. For more information about the Asian Heritage Month nationwide, please check out the links below: